Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My childhood meal from hell and how I am repeating the cycle

I think I was 5 or 6.  Dinner sat before me on the table.  It was hideous!  It was monstrous!  It was vile!  I was not to leave the table until my plate was empty.  The night seemed to last forever.  How was I ever supposed to finish this horrible, disgusting, revolting plateful of food that teased me with its grossness?  My parents had long ago finished their meal.  My brother (in the same predicament as me) and I still sat there, hoping the food would magically disappear from our plates.  I remember our parents' irritation with us at not eating this meal.  Finally, in disgust, my parents said we could go straight to bed instead of finishing the food.  I couldn't choose that option, because it would mean missing the only five minutes of daily children's programming Dutch television offered.  No, I slogged on, while my brother chose to go to bed hungry.  He cried and cried (small house, our shared bedroom was right beside the diningroom/familyroom).  I tried to offer him comfort him by calling out to him that I would tell him what he missed on our television show.  I must have finally eaten that dinner from hell and I am pretty sure my mother never served it again.

 

Fast forward 35 years.  I found falafels at Costco yesterday.  An awesome vegetarian option!  Not tofu, not gas-inducing beans and no animals had to die for this meal!  I sauteed peppers and onions and mushrooms, served it on pitas and added tzatziki.  I thought it was wonderful.  Three out of four of us ate it right up!



About my family - in addition to my husband, I have two tween daughters: two wonderful young ladies who are special in their own ways.  One loves horses, nature and food, especially dinner; the other one loves dance, fashion and breakfast and lunch.  While one of my girls will try any kind of food, loves most everything she tries and could eat all day, my other daughter has always been a picky eater.  Born premature, diagnosed with anemia at 5 months, she weighed 10 pounds at 1 year old.  She has always been healthy, but the food thing has caused strife between my husband and I since she started on solid food.  I believe she will eat when she is hungry.  If she won't eat her dinner, I figure - whatever!  Her choices are fruit or something equally healthy or she can wait until breakfast.  My husband thinks she will suffer greatly if she doesn't eat dinner.  And it isn't easy.  I once served a tofurkey, and it was awesome!  Miss Picky bawled.  Just bawled about it.  She just couldn't eat it.  We still tease her about that one.

So back to last night,...  I was excited about this meal.  While the rest of us ate, Miss Picky hummed and hawed, picked at the pita, fished out some peppers, "accidentally" dropped a falafel ball on the floor...  It was torture.  For her and for me.  I was so irritated with her.  I wasn't feeding her garbage, it was yummy!  It was saving an animal's life.  It was healthy.  It wasn't tofu.  I read her the ingredients - chick peas, celery, carrots, cilantro, spices...  I wanted to yell at her to go to bed without supper.  She had tears about it.  I left the table in disgust.  Finally she finished.  I won't be serving that meal again...  I ask you, is that such a horrible meal?  Am I such a horrible mother? 




So back to 35 years ago, that horrible meal my mother served me?  It was an omelette.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Laura, I am so glad that I am not the only one going through the same problems! Only, I'm still despairing as it sounds like I will have to live with this for quite a while (my picky eater is 5 1/2). By the way, it sounds like a wonderful meal, but I bet my little miss wouldn't eat it either. Don't give up though, maybe one day she'll come around (at least that's the thought that always keeps me going)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me feel awful that Josie doesn’t love falafel. I hope she feels awful that she didn't love your falafels. What the heck is wrong with that girl? Falafels are awesome! I had one just the other day from the shwarma place downtown. Mmmm....mmmm...deeeeelicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I prefer hummus to tzatziki myself. Although tzatziki is more fun to say. When I get a falafel sandwich they have these sliced purple turnips they serve with it. I thought they were beets at first. Not sure how they get them purple, but I like ’em. Oh and I like the hot peppers too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. London - I've tried posting a comment back to you several times without success, here I try again.

    I guess the secret is to find what our kids like and serve that repeatedly! Actually, one of my husband's favourite meals is Indonesian food with Peanut Sauce. My Miss Picky would never eat it, but I would put a spoon of it on her plate each time we ate it. After about 30 times of me doing it, she eats it!! There is a light at the end of the tunnel!!

    ReplyDelete